Our Journey

2002 Uterine Fibroid Surgery #1

2003 1st consult with an RE, you know, just in case

2003 Got Married (at 37 (me) & 34 (DH) years old)

2003/2004 Naturally conceived pregnancies BFPs #1, #2, & #3 and miscarriages #1, #2, #3

2005 Uterine Fibroid Surgery #2

2005 IVF #1, BFN #1

2005 IUIs #1 and #2, just because, BFN #2 & #3

2005 FET from IVF #1, BFN #4

2006 Exploratory surgery to remove scar tissue from fibroid sugery #2

2006 IVF #2 (w PGD), BFP #4

2006 Emergency cerclage for IC @ 16w6d (5 months + 1 week of complete bed rest at home ensues)

2007 Our son is born @ 38w by scheduled c-section

2007 IVF #3 for baby #2, BFN #5

2007 IVF #4, BFP #5, miscarriage #4

2008 IVF #5, BFP #6, miscarriage #5

2008 IVF #6, BFP #7, miscarriage #6

2008 DE IVF #7, BFN #6

2009 DEFET #8, cancelled, embryos don't thaw

2010 Decide to adopt domestically

12.17.10 Profile is live with our agency

November 2011 Consult with RE re: donated embryo cycle

Early January 2012 Cleared to proceed with deFET

January 2012 Freeze our profile

1.20.12 deFET begins
2.12.12 eSET of one compacted morula
2.22.12 BFN

3.23.12 deFET #2 begins
4.14.12 transfer 3 embryos (1-8 cell, 1-5 cell, 1-4 cell)
4.22.12 + HPT
4.24.12 Beta #1 = 48.4
4.26.12 Beta #2 = 125.7
4.30.12 Beta #3 = 777.8
5.11.12 1st U/S - Singleton!
7.12.12 It's a Boy!
12.26.12 C-section: Baby G is born, 9#5oz, 20.5"




I appreciate all the words of support and encouragement.  Emotionally, I am mostly doing OK.  I do not want to be ruled by fear and I do want this to be a positive experience given how far I’ve come to get here and knowing this will be my last pregnancy.  I want this baby to have a loving experience in utero.

I am 14w3d today.

I tend to check baby’s heart rate twice a day, in the morning and just before bed.  It doesn’t always go this way, and sometimes it is just once or  not at all, but it is always reassuring.

My husband accompanied me to the MFM appointment earlier in the week.  My weight has remained steady (phew) and my cervix was measuring 3.44cm.  Baby is measuring  7.89 cm.  There was one spot where the sac had not fused to the placenta but it didn’t seem indicative of a problem as usually the membranes don’t fully fuse until 16 weeks.  It’s possible that this had something to do with the bleed, but probably not.  Placenta was measuring 1.89cm from the cervix, again, where it should be for this gestation.  It should begin to move up over the next few weeks.  If, later in pregnancy, it remains under 2cm, it will be classified as previa.

We discussed the bleeding episode at length (and the spotting has just stopped) and I tried to express my concern that my son was going to be home for 5 weeks beginning in August and that I wanted to enjoy an active end of summer with him and that I wasn’t sure I would be able to do that without a cerclage.  The response was, well, by then, we’ll have 4 consecutive weeks of measurements and monitoring.  My MFM is on vacation next week (he will be playing soccer in Sweden as part of an international physicians soccer league) so I will finally see the other MFM that I had hoped to see during my NT Scan.  I will confer with her to see what her opinion is.

Oh, and I asked Dr. C about the wives tale that the faster the heart rate the more likely it is a boy vs. the slower the heart rate the more likely a girl and he completely poo-pooed that.  We have a 51% chance of having a boy and 49% chance of having a girl (as that is the annual ratio of boys to girls born in the US).  He said we might be able to tell as early as next week but probably by the week after, baby cooperation withstanding.

Next week is another cervical measurement and the 2nd part of the sequential blood work for the NT scan.  One day at a time.

“Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.”
~George S. Patton

5 comments to Quickie

  • Tireegal

    Glad to hear that you are holding your own and getting good results at the doctors. Are they saying that IC is something that can be monitored and predicted then? Is it something that comes on slowly as opposed to a crisis event? Just my ignorance speaking.
    Holding positive thoughts for continued calm!

  • Glad to hear you are well and that the spotting stopped. Hope all continues steady on. It would be nice if you could avoid (the strain of having) that cerc procedure, but I totally understand the balancing act with peace of mind. Hope your professionals continue to be sensitive and that they give you good management! It will be interesting to hear what your other MFM has to say.

    Totally OT: Your comment about 51% (boy) vs. 49% (girl) reminded me of an article (I think it was in The Economist?) about cultures where boys are strongly preferred and how the new gender prediction technology is being used in those countries to skew the gender balance that SHOULD occur in nature. The article explained that boys are slightly more likely in every pregnancy than girls (it’s not quite 50/50, but it’s close), because — believe it or not — boys are more frail than girls and don’t survive to adulthood at quite the same statistical rate as girls do (for one thing, they are more prone to some genetic issues?). The countries where couples are terminating girl pregnancies in favor of trying for a boy are upsetting the balance of nature … and in the future, there will be a big social crisis when a whole generation of males cannot find a mate because there is a terrible shortage of the opposite sex. Bizarre. Very Sci Fi. The consequences are a bit worrisome to contemplate.

  • Keeping you and your bean in our thoughts and prayers.

  • Meg

    Thanks for word of your continuing progress! Sending wishes for a pregnancy marked by only positive happy events.

  • Tonya

    I was so glad to read your post today. I just started following your blog after searching for others who have had IVF and have a history of fibroids, etc. I’m wishing you a nice, peaceful pregnancy.

Leave a Reply




You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>