I’ve posted along the way that I think that scar tissue has attached my uterus to various internal organs and is possibly restricting baby boy’s movement. I was assured by my OB that even if that was the case, given that the amniotic sac is a closed space, the scar tissue would not effect baby boy’s growth or development. And, indeed, it seems that he is growing appropriately. However, the presence of what I imagine to be bands of scar tissue are causing other problems for me, namely pain.
I had intermittent pain in my lower right abdomen (think where my ovaries would be) since my FET. It presented as a sort of burning sensation (like someone was rubbing my insides with an eraser). We attributed it to cysts. As this pregnancy has progressed and as my innards have moved, it now presents as a stabbing pain. At first it was inconsistent, happening on some days and not others. But now, it is definitely made worse by being active and/or when baby boy is moving (which is a lot of the time). Thanksgiving day and the day after it was so bad (it hurt to walk) that I considered going to L&D. But, since I’ve lived with this pain on/off throughout this entire pregnancy, and I didn’t want to give up a holiday, I just rode it out.
I am convinced it is scar tissue. The reason I know this is that as baby boy moves (and his movements are consistent), his swipes and stretches actually pull and tug at my insides. Like, I literally feel a tug up on my vagina and my rectum. So, he’ll move and I will feel a distinct pulling sensation in my behind that only stops when he relaxes. This is the same for my lower abdomen (both left and right) and it is now quite painful, sometimes causing me to double over or at least to wince.
So now, in addition to my concern over how this scar tissue is affecting his ability to move (and this is why I think he remains breech. I can feel him aggressively trying to turn (which is SO uncomfortable) but try as he might, he just can’t) this pain borderlines on unbearable sometimes.
Heretofore, neither my MFM or OB have been all that concerned. I’ve mentioned the pain and the tugging before but never in a way that I wasn’t sure how much longer I’d be able to take it. But, at this point, if having an amnio to determine lung maturity would allow me to have my c-section a week early (even if that also means the week of Christmas), as unappealing as having an amnio sounds, if there is no other way to move my c-section date up, I would now consider it. And, even that would be 3 weeks away and I’m not sure I can go that long.
My regularly scheduled OB appointment (and final growth scan) is this Friday and I am going to attempt to move the appointment up. Not only do I want the reassurance that he is doing OK (because, silly as this sounds, I can’t even bring myself to take the tags off/wash any of the shower gifts I received, because, you know, what if…) but I want to discuss whether or not there are any other options for moving delivery up.
I delivered my son at 38w0d and without so much as a sideways look from my then OB. Yes, he would have preferred we wait until 39 weeks, but he never balked at my wanting to get off what turned out to be 26 weeks of bed rest. He never said he could be fined for performing a scheduled c-section fat 38 weeks, something my current MFM told me. She cited that the US is making a concerted effort to reduce the number and timing of c-sections overall. Now, I’m having one either way, so what difference does a week make, especially if 37 weeks is considered full-term? She would not schedule it for one day prior to 39 weeks UNLESS I had an amnio to determine lung maturity, which I could only do as early as 38 weeks. Now, really, how silly does that sound? Perform a risky (amnios are riskier at this gestation) invasive procedure in order to green light a c-section that is guaranteed to happen anyway? UGH. I suppose this is one of the bureaucratic hurdles of dealing with an HMO.
That’s the news from here.