Our Journey

2002 Uterine Fibroid Surgery #1

2003 1st consult with an RE, you know, just in case

2003 Got Married (at 37 (me) & 34 (DH) years old)

2003/2004 Naturally conceived pregnancies BFPs #1, #2, & #3 and miscarriages #1, #2, #3

2005 Uterine Fibroid Surgery #2

2005 IVF #1, BFN #1

2005 IUIs #1 and #2, just because, BFN #2 & #3

2005 FET from IVF #1, BFN #4

2006 Exploratory surgery to remove scar tissue from fibroid sugery #2

2006 IVF #2 (w PGD), BFP #4

2006 Emergency cerclage for IC @ 16w6d (5 months + 1 week of complete bed rest at home ensues)

2007 Our son is born @ 38w by scheduled c-section

2007 IVF #3 for baby #2, BFN #5

2007 IVF #4, BFP #5, miscarriage #4

2008 IVF #5, BFP #6, miscarriage #5

2008 IVF #6, BFP #7, miscarriage #6

2008 DE IVF #7, BFN #6

2009 DEFET #8, cancelled, embryos don't thaw

2010 Decide to adopt domestically

12.17.10 Profile is live with our agency

November 2011 Consult with RE re: donated embryo cycle

Early January 2012 Cleared to proceed with deFET

January 2012 Freeze our profile

1.20.12 deFET begins
2.12.12 eSET of one compacted morula
2.22.12 BFN

3.23.12 deFET #2 begins
4.14.12 transfer 3 embryos (1-8 cell, 1-5 cell, 1-4 cell)
4.22.12 + HPT
4.24.12 Beta #1 = 48.4
4.26.12 Beta #2 = 125.7
4.30.12 Beta #3 = 777.8
5.11.12 1st U/S - Singleton!
7.12.12 It's a Boy!
12.26.12 C-section: Baby G is born, 9#5oz, 20.5"




My first post partum, post c-section, post breast feeding period started a month ago. It came on slow, and, given I’d barely stopped bleeding from my c-section, the ending of one melded into the beginning of the other. It was light and watery and more annoying than anything.


Tuesday evening when I started bleeding heavier and heavier and heavier.

It wasn’t long before I was leaking through a super plus tampon and into a maxi pad every hour. EVERY HOUR.

Now, you’d think, knowing me like you do, that I might just high-tail into Urgent Care. But, you’d be wrong. I was also coming down with a head cold with a terribly sore, scratchy, and raw sore throat and just didn’t have it in me. So, the bleeding (that’s putting it mildly) persisted Tuesday evening and into Wednesday. By midnight, I’d become light-headed and was therefore afraid to go to sleep. So, up I stayed, holding vigil practically in the bathroom, every hour on the hour.

Come the light of day on Thursday, I thought I’d better get in touch with any one of the cavalcade of doctors involved in my care. I first sent an email to my OB’s gatekeeper nurse and then sent the same email directly to my OB. I then called the appointment line to see if, per chance, I could get a same day appointment. First available appointment with my OB? Yeah, June 24. And, no one else in the group had a same day appointment available. The rep took dictation and sent a message for someone to call me.

Meanwhile, we were scheduled to tour a new elementary school and since we’d already missed the application deadline, I didn’t want to miss it, even over the protests of my husband, ‘Really? You think a walking tour is the best idea in your condition?’ Why, yes, yes I do.

While we were on said tour the nurse emailed me back letting my know that my OB was only in for the morning, suggested I go on high dose BCPs (I had inquired about uterus contracting medication which I’d taken once before for a similar but much less significant bleeding episode) and what did I want to do. I emailed back that that didn’t seem like it was going to help quickly enough and were there other options. Why, yes, yes there were. I should go to Urgent Care.

Once we got home from the tour and my hourly vigil continued, I reached out again asking that my OB call me. By this time, she was heading to another location for some sort of Thursday afternoon education. Turns out, she was headed to where my fantastic MFM was located with gave me the brilliant idea to just reach out to her, instead. However, the phones to the MFM station were forwarded to voice mail. Undoubtedly, everyone had Thursday afternoon education.

I decided then to just reach out to my RE. He’s local and helpful and would certainly tell me what to do. I called his coordinator only to find out that he was at an off-site meeting and they were instructed to only contact him via email. Hmmm, what to do?! I decided against emailing him figuring that, as the afternoon was wearing on, my OB was certain to call.

With 5:00 fast approaching, I called my OB’s nurse again and asked if I could speak to any other OB/GYN. Turns out they were all at this education thing. I must not have pressed hard enough as certainly, someone had to have been on-call. I called my MFM back, got a nurse, and found out she was out of the office til Tuesday. Great.

Lucky for me, my husband had taken the day off to tend to baby boy while I bled out. So, I remanded myself to bed and waited it out. By midnight this morning, 48 hours after the start of the Great Bleed of 2013, it began to subside.

Me, only me.

Pardon me while I go consume mass quantities of iron.

4 comments to B.l.e.e.d.i.n.g

  • Mel

    Oy oy oy. That is really scary. I’m glad the bleeding has slowed down.

  • Oh no… so glad you’re Ok… take care of yourself! That had to be really scary- hopefully it continues to lighten.

  • Oh yikes. How terrifying! Glad the bleeding is slowing, but it might still be worth getting checked out?

  • Rebecca

    Omg. I’m glad I didn’t read this until after it had subsided. Good grief…awful! I had a very bad, near fatal postpartum hemorrhage, which resulted in an emergency 2 AM hysterectomy and 8 transfusions. When I had my bleed out, the dr’s first thought was that it was a really bad period, but soon it became clear that it was not. Anyway, I’m glad you are okay. That is scary stuff.

Leave a Reply




You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>